Movie Night at FCCSR
Each month a bunch of us get together to watch a movie. Our preference is for small films that didn’t attract a lot of box-office attention but have something to say about the human condition. That said, over the years we’ve watched movies of every type (except flying-body-parts action flicks.) We usually meet on the last Friday of the month in the DeHaan Center at Pilgrim Park, which is equipped with a high definition big screen, comfortable easy chairs, fresh coffee and a microwave for the all-important free popcorn.
Here’s what’s coming up in the months ahead
- October 3 (a late date for our September night) This will be a special night to celebrate the life and work of Robin Williams. We’ll watch “Mrs. Doubtfire,” the film that best shows both sides of Williams’ remarkable talent: the wild, improvisational comic genius and the warm, gentle persona of his “serious” roles.
- October 24 “Game Change“ Here’s our Election Day Special! This 2013 HBO drama tells the more or less true story of John McCain’s choice of Sarah Palin as his running mate in 2012, and Julianne Moore’s nuanced, award-winning portrayal of Palin is a wonder. However, the film’s lasting value is its insider’s view of the pressure-cooker intensity of a modern campaign and the way that can cloud good people’s judgement. Ed Harris plays McCain, and Woody Harrelson stars as his campaign manager, Steve Schmidt.
- November 21 “In a Better World.” Danish director Susanne Bier is one of the most provocative film-makers working today. This 2010 film was nominated for the Best Foreign-language Film Oscar. It is a profound exploration of how we, in the supposedly “enlightened” part of the world deal with the ancient issues of violence and revenge.
- (no movie night in December)
- January 23 “The Grand Budapest Hotel” is writer/Director Wes Anderson’s seriocomic tribute to the old Grand Hotels of Europe and to the way of life that was destroyed by the outbreak of WWII. Ralph Fiennes leads a truly all-star cast as the legendary concierge of a legendary hotel facing the barbarians at the gates.